When I think of Valentine’s Day I immediately think of candy, chocolate, cake… pretty much all things food. Add red and pink hearts and BAM, it’s Valentine’s Day. So, how in the world do you “do” Valentine’s Day if you or someone you love follows a gluten free lifestyle? It’s not as simple as giving them flowers and a box of assorted chocolates. Hello runs to the bathroom and feeling like you are dying. How thoughtful and loving. Don’t worry, I have your gift list covered. The point of Valentine’s Day is to show someone how much you love them and help them feel special. Here are some ideas and gift ideas that will leave your significant other feeling well taken care of!
Make Her Dinner At Home
Going out to dinner can come with a mixed bag of excitement and anxiety. Many local restaurants offer a special menu on Valentine’s Day, which means they are preparing meals they may not normally offer. I love having food prepared for me, so why not make your significant other dinner? Gluten free pasta, spaghetti sauce, gluten free bread, a baked good from Third Coast Bakery (which is gluten free and dairy free) and a bottle of wine or cider (both or normally gluten free, but here are some guidelines to consider) and you can have a care free dinner that is safe and you will have leftovers!
Give Her the Ultimate Relaxing Evening
- “Red Sea Road” by Ellie Holcomb was just released and I can’t stop listening to it. It’s a great CD to listen to while working, driving or going through the mundane moments of your day. Push play as she enters the house and starts her relaxing night.
- Run her a bath and pour in Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt Soaking Solution – Relax and Relief with Eucalyptus & Spearmint. She will appreciate the time to relax in a hot bath while de-stressing from her day at work, juggling the kids, and handling everything else your awesome significant other takes care of!
- Light candles or pop in wax melts from Stand Around Creations while her bath water is running. They are soy-based aromatherapy candles with essential oils that are perfect for a relaxing evening (or anytime when peace and quiet are a must – especially during a long day with the kids!). Try these delightful scents: Island Coconut Tin Candle, Chocolate Layer Cake Tin Candle, Warm Vanilla Sugar Tin Candle, Lavender Mint Wax Melts, Rain Water Wax Melts, Harvest Berry Wax Melts, and Rose Wax Melts.
- Burt’s Bee Essential Everyday Beauty Gift Set or the Burt’s Bees Tips and Toes Kit will leave her skin soft and silky from her head to her toes after her relaxing bath. I love Burt’s Bee products and always get excited when I’m surprised with one (or two or three)!
- Buy her sock subscription from SockPanda.com and have the perfect pair of socks ready for her to slip on after her long bath. You can design a pair of socks or choose from fun prints. The best part is that they donate a pair of socks to someone in need for every pair of socks they sell! This is a really thoughtful gift that will make her smile while also helping someone else. Current promotion: Valentine’s Day Sale 10% off + Free pair of socks with any SockPanda sock subscription. Promo code: FREESOCKS10. (2/1-2/14 only).
Start the Day with Sweet Touches
- Get her Lovepop card! Remember pop-up books when you were a kid? Well, these cards remind me of those fun books. The outside looks like a normal card, but the inside pops up with flowers, a toaster, a turtle, hearts and tons of other options. It’s a great way to make her smile first thing in the morning!
- YORK Peppermint Patties in the shape of hearts. I’m so glad these are gluten free!
- Jolly Rancher Candy heart lollipops. I love Jolly Ranchers, but heart shaped candy around Valentine’s Day is just fun.
- NECCO® Conversation Hearts. I don’t recall a Valentine’s Day that hasn’t included candy hearts, so this is great news! Tape them to a cute handmade card to spell out a funny sentence for bonus points.
- Valentine Marshmallow Heart Peeps. I’ve finally become used to the idea of eating Peeps for other holidays and these hearts are so cute!
- Order gluten free treats from Katz Gluten Free! Colored Sprinkle Cookies-Gluten Free – $5.19
from: Katz Gluten Free, Chocolate Frosted Donuts with Colored Sprinkles – Gluten Free – $6.99
from: Katz Gluten Free, and Marble Cake-Gluten Free – $5.79
from: Katz Gluten Free are tasty options!
- Buy her candy from the Lovely Candy Company. It’s gluten free, most of it is dairy free and she will love you because of the delicious taste! There is also something special about the packaging that makes you smile as you unwrap a fruit chew. Here are my favorites: Chewy Caramels, Fruit Chews Superfruit and Cashew Caramels.
Jewelry for Her with a Huge Meaning
- Purchase a custom cuff from my friend Danielle at Create Hope Cuffs. Her work is beautiful and a portion of every purchase is donated to the community for Bheveni in Swaziland, Africa. You can even get 15% off by using the coupon code 2017ALIVE when checking out!
- Surprise her with fun earrings, cuffs or other jewelry from Glory Haus. The mission of Glory Haus is “Community transformation that glorifies the Lord and changes lives through our work, art and relationships” and they do this through the people and ministries they partner with to produce every product. These Cream & Turquoise Leather Earrings and this Be Free Leather Cuff Bracelet are beloved by Jen Hatmaker. This Grateful Necklace will remind her how grateful she’s part of your life.
Beyond what you do or buy for Valentine’s Day, just share with her what’s on your heart and how you feel about her. How she’s a blessing each day and what you love about who she is and what she does easily that is unique and special. This will mean more than any gift or gesture could ever mean.