Silver Lake Recreation Area in Garfield Township, Michigan is a fun park for the entire family for hours, especially on a hot summer day. The playground area is ideal for babies through 12-year-olds (or even older!) and your dog can even tag along to play in Silver Lake Dog Park, one of the few designated dog parks in the Traverse City area. It’s common to see walkers, runners and bikers around the paved path that’s just shy of a mile. There are also beautiful trails that go through the woods and take you past Hidden Lake and the northern shores of Silver Lake.
Location of Silver Lake Recreation Area
Silver Lake Recreation Area (aka Silver Lake Park) is located a short drive from downtown Traverse City. If you on Division Street heading toward West Bay, turn left onto 14th, which turns into Silver Lake Road. Follow it up and turn onto N. East Silver Lake Road at the third light. You will see a shopping plaza with the Coffee Bean coffee shop and Franciscos. The park is located just past the fire department building. Watch out for pedestrians crossing on the paved path when you turn in! Follow the road past the tennis and basketball courts, pavilion and dog park. Most families park at the larger parking lot closest to the playground.
Silver Lake Recreation Area offers so many great amenities!
- Three covered pavilions
- Clean bathrooms with good ventilation
- Ample parking
- Basketball courts (four hoops total)
- Tennis courts
- Playground play structure
- Two large-sized slides
- Medium-sized slide
- Three toddler-sized slides
- Baby and toddler play structure
- Big kid play structure
- Two baby swings
- Multiple climbing structures
- Six big kid swings
- Paved path that is just shy of a mile
- Large open area with amazing grass – serious cloud watching while lying in the grass or kite-flying while running through soft, fluffy grass
- Benches along the paved path
- Unpaved paths meandering through the woods – offering beautiful scenery
- The paths can be hilly
- Silver Lake Dog Park – Join the Facebook group for updates and other furry friends to meet.
- Here are the dog park rules to download
Want to rent one of the pavilions?
All three pavilions are available to rent for birthday parties, graduation parties, family reunions and other ideal functions. They get scheduled fast, especially in the spring and summer months, so I recommend calling 231-941-1620 to reserve a pavilion ASAP. Here is the reservation application after you confirm that the date is available. Check out www.garfield-twp.com/silverlakepark.asp for more information on renting the pavilions and updates to the grounds and facilities.
Pictures of Silver Lake Recreation Area (AKA Silver Lake Park)
Discover Other Traverse City Parks
There are many parks in the Traverse City area, including Blair Township Park and Splash Pad, Darrow Park, F&M Park, Greilickville Harbor Park, Clinch Park, Twin Lakes Park, Historic Barns Park, East Bay Park, Traverse City State Park, Pine Grove Park, and Bryant Park Beach.