You see the leaves changing colors and there is a crispness to the air, therefore it must be time for a gluten free pumpkin spiced latte. Starbucks has made us all crave pumpkin spice lattes. Although Starbucks (and other coffee shops) has made huge strides in offering more gluten free food options, we know that they still want gluten-loving customers. Items containing gluten are still on their menu, so you take a huge risk by ordering a pumpkin spiced latte at a coffee shop.
Do you know if the order before you contain gluten and now the milk steamer contains gluten? When did the person behind the counter last touch a muffin? Did the recipe change and now it includes a gluten additive that you don’t know about? These things are completely out of your control when you visit a coffee shop and, although I have had a pleasant experience at many coffee shops, I do not order flavored or special drinks.
Does this mean you have to give up on enjoying a pumpkin spiced latte? I did this for a year and it was the worst year ever. Not really, but it renewed my determination to figure out this latte making business. Here’s my favorite recipe for making a gluten free pumpkin spiced latte!
Recipe: Gluten Free Pumpkin Spiced Latte
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee (I love my Keurig!)
- 1 cup original almond milk (or whatever you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix
Step 1: Make the Coffee
Brew your coffee. For me, this involves turning on my Keurig, adding water and choosing a breakfast blend K-Cup.
Step 2: Make the Pumpkin Spiced Mixture
Add the almond milk, pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice mix and cane sugar to a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir continuously until steam starts to arise and your senses begin dreaming about this incredible latte.
Step 3: Blend the Pumpkin Spiced Mixture
Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for 15 – 20 seconds. The consistency will become frothy.
Step 4: Pour the Coffee and Pumpkin Spiced Mixture
Pour the coffee into your favorite large mug and then add the pumpkin spiced mixture. Add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice on the top and enjoy!
- Make extra pumpkin spiced mixture and put it in the fridge so it’s ready to warm up on the stove the next time you need a fall pick-me-up.
- Pumpkin Spice Recipe: You can easily make your own pumpkin spice mix at home. Here’s a great recipe from WellnessMama.com.
- Order a box of donuts from Katz so you can pop one in the microwave to enjoy with your pumpkin spiced latte.