Many people mark the holidays by making and decorating sugar cookies – for me, it’s peanut butter balls! The sweet and savory combination of peanut butter and chocolate never get old. These are really easy to make and they are naturally gluten free and you can use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips to make them dairy free! Peanut butter balls are great as a holiday dessert for kids of all ages, regardless of whether they are gluten free, dairy free or not.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 stick softened butter (margarine and dairy free butter works too)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 bags semi sweet chocolate chips
Making the Peanut Butter Balls
1. Combine the peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl. I prefer using my Kitchen Aide mixer, but you can also mix the batter by hand.
2. Roll the dough into balls. I like to make each ball with about a teaspoon of dough, but you can make them any size.
3. Chill the dough in the fridge for a 1/2 hour so it doesn’t melt when you cover the balls with chocolate.
Melting the Chocolate
You can use different kinds of chocolate, but it’s important to know a few basic details about melting chocolate. Not all chocolate melts the same! Milk chocolate melts best in the microwave while semi-sweet and dark chocolate melt best on the stove in a double boiler. You can also use two pots or a set a glass bowl in a pot with hot water to melt the chocolate.
Covering the Peanut Butter Balls with Chocolate
1. Pour the melted chocolate into a bowl and drop a chilled peanut butter ball into the chocolate. Use a spoon to cover it with chocolate and then put it on wax paper for the chocolate to settle.
2. Repeat this until all the peanut butter balls are covered.
Hint: It’s common for the chocolate to become clumpy, but it’s easy to fix! Simply remelt the chocolate following the same steps as above. It will melt quicker and you can add in more chocolate if you run low.